There comes a time for most businesses when they need to recruit a new staff member. However, when job hunting or posting job vacancies via our Recruitment Gateway, we often see adverts that might not promote the job to their best ability or the right target market. Some people can have difficulty in making the most of interviews with potential candidates. As such, we asked a couple of our members to give their advice on recruiting the right candidate at our Breakfast meeting last week. I’ve summarised their top tips for the session here for you.
How to write the advert:
- Think about who you are looking to hire, and tell that person in your advert how your job meets their needs – an internal job specification has no place in an external advert.
- When optimising your advert for search engines, put yourself in the candidates’ shoes. What would they type when searching for a job? Instead of using convoluted internal jargon, write clearly and in language people use every day, and more of the right people will be able to find your advert.
- Bear in mind many people now search for and apply to jobs on mobile devices. When writing your advert, think about how it will look on a small screen – consider bullet-points, and list only the key duties and responsibilities of the role.
Improving your interviewing technique:
- Don’t rely on your first impressions, as this is most often the cause for hiring the wrong person. Employing staff should be based on a rational decision rather than intuition.
- Most interviewers will be biased towards people they feel are like them (although this doesn’t necessarily mean they will be right for the role). Conducting a telephone interview in the first instance is a great way to negate any bias.
- Know exactly what you are looking for in a candidate, based on your key performance indicators for the job, and how your employee will be motivated. Be prepared, and you’ll be more likely to hire the right person for the job.
So there are just a few tips that came out of the breakfast meeting in January – I hope that this helps you make an informed decision on your next candidate!
To see more of what Richard and Katherine had to say, check out our video below.
If you’d like to know more about recruitment and how Cambridge Network can help, take a look online or contact my colleague firstname.lastname@example.org.